Advertisement

Turtle Sashimi

topic posted Tue, November 15, 2005 - 11:44 AM by  Unsubscribed
Share/Save/Bookmark
Has anyone ever had it? I saw it in a movie (Tampopo)...
posted by:
Unsubscribed
Advertisement
  • Unsu...

Re: Turtle Sashimi

Tue, November 15, 2005 - 7:39 PM
    sounds wierd....

wonder if its safe?
    • Re: Turtle Sashimi

Tue, November 15, 2005 - 8:10 PM
      the turtle meat i've seen 'cooked' was kind of like chicken, so i'm guessin' it would be kind of like RAW chicken... and, well... i don't think so :p

what kind of turtle?
  • Unsu...

Wed, November 16, 2005 - 6:29 AM
    I've never had it but it is on the menus of some more exotic Japanese restaurants.

FYI: I've never seen it in a sushi bar, nor is Tampopo a movie about sushi!
    • Unsu...

Fri, November 18, 2005 - 9:19 PM
      It might have been another of Jizu Itami's movies (like "The Funeral" or "A Taxing Woman").

Concern about germs is definitely real, and yet you can get chicken sashimi in Japan (very high-grade chicken served raw). You probably can get just about anything served raw, somewhere, reasonably safely, if it's not toxic.

I have had turtle meat several times (once when I was 8 in Hawaii -- 37 years ago). It is very good, actually, and turtle soup is pretty delicious (but a lot like beef broth, chicken broth, etc.)... There is also a line of vitamins I used to take that included turtle meat (Great Earth Vitamin supplements).

However, because of eco-concerns, I don't think it is that acceptable any longer (a bit like harvesting shark's fins)...

Still, I've never had turtle raw.

Mon, November 21, 2005 - 12:50 PM

gamera is really sweet,
    he is filled with turtle meat
    we've been eating gaaaaaa meeeeee raaaaaaaaa!

Thu, December 1, 2005 - 3:56 PM
      As a turtle owner and scuba diver, I am also morally opposed to eating turle.

But just try to tell my Japanese friends not to eat whale, and see what they say!

Tue, November 29, 2005 - 7:29 PM
    Don't remember it in Tampopo... just the yummy ramen. As for Turtle... I've had it, but it was cooked. It was actually when I was little and ate sea turtle in mexico. Tasted like chicken.

Recent topics in "For the Love of Sushi"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
White Tuna? Mama B 19 March 6, 2012
Escolar! 57 March 6, 2012
where to buy raw fish in LA Unsubscribed 15 March 6, 2012
Buying Sushi Grade Fish Alan 25 March 6, 2012