Advertisement

Strange Sushi

topic posted Sun, February 1, 2004 - 12:40 PM by  TAKA
Share/Save/Bookmark
What is the strangest sushi you've ever had?
Mine was Fried Futomaki Roll in London. I have to eat that with ketchap.
posted by:
TAKA
Advertisement
  • Unsu...

Re: Strange Sushi

Sun, February 1, 2004 - 5:28 PM
    I had a deep fried riceball thing with avacado... once.

Uni I will try once in a while; Deep fried riceball thing will never go past my lips again. The ONLY 'sushi' I ever fully disliked. It was like a fish flavored hashbrown. I ate the avacado off the other two on the plate, leavng the crispy critters behind.
  • Re: Strange Sushi

Sun, February 1, 2004 - 10:41 PM
    I was in Tokyo, on a restaurant boat at the mouth of the harbor, they secure a live fish to a wooden board with a knife on either end and filet it right there in front of you , leaving the flesh on the fish so you can pluck it free with a pair of chopsticks, it was dressed nicely and was costly, I forget what the fish was, a little bit bigger than a hand and silvery, with translucent flesh, it was sweet and very nice.

Sun, February 1, 2004 - 10:54 PM
      Actually, one of the best sushi rolls I ever had was strange in it's non-sushiness...a teriyaki chicken roll. (the chicken is cooked of course...no salmonella rolls, thank you.) I actually had quite a time getting my friends to eat it because they all thought, what's the point? We are out for sushi! But once they tried it, it became quite the group favorite...I have one friend that likes to eat a hand roll with raw quail egg in it...no thanks.

Sun, February 1, 2004 - 11:15 PM
        A slow day in the sushi bar some years back yielded a chopped sirloin inside-out roll with just a splash of mustard. Rather tasty, too!

Sun, February 1, 2004 - 11:48 PM
        The one and only time I have had teriyaki chicken in a sushi roll was the Kitaro Roll at Kitaro on Geary Blvd in SF. Two words: never again.

Mon, February 2, 2004 - 1:30 PM
          Too bad...the one in Santa Barbara is DEELISH, and I've so many hooked on them...the sushi place makes a mean spicy tuna salad, too...lots of greens, a great "secret" dressing, and lots of chunks of raw tuna. Addictive...the place is called Sushi Teri, on upper State Street. There are a couple Sushi Teri's in SB, but that's the BEST one
      • MO
        MO
        offline 6

Tue, February 3, 2004 - 12:51 PM
        Yeah, I've had the teriyaki chicken roll at Pink Godzilla in Santa Cruz. Pretty weird but delicious. I think it's the best roll that they have (which yes, that does say something about the overall quality of their sushi).

Mon, February 2, 2004 - 3:28 PM
    There are two things here in Atlanta that are kinda strange: a Katsu-fried California roll, and something called a Fuyuyama roll, which has mozarella cheese on it.

Mon, February 2, 2004 - 4:02 PM
      In Santa Cruz at the Pink Godzilla, they occasionally have this roll on the special menu called "Pink Power." It's got pickled garlic wrapped in rice, and it's BRIGHT PINK!......After I tried it, I decided I wasn't going to have bright pink garlic again any time soon.
      • Unsu...

Mon, February 2, 2004 - 4:16 PM
        At Hiro's in Flagstaff; cactus roll. It had jalapenos in it, among other things, and was covered with wasabi-flavored roe.

Tue, February 3, 2004 - 7:02 AM
          Ohh, I didn't know that there is Hiro in Flagstaff. Are you talking about Flagstaff, Arizona? Right? There is Hiro in Scottsdale, too. They have great while fish sashimi.
          • Unsu...

Tue, February 3, 2004 - 4:00 PM
            Flagstaff, AZ. Yep.

It's only been here a little over a year. Good sushi, fresh and generous portions. I'm partial to the yellowtail sashimi and the BBQ eel.
            • Unsu...

Wed, June 8, 2005 - 12:48 PM
              i live in Tucson, Az and i have noticed many "specialty rolls" here at different places do contain jalapeno. ive never tired it but it sounds gross.

I know a guy that goes to Ca often and makes this roll at home that he insists is a "dessert" roll he had at some Ca restaurant...it is avocado with honey and ume paste. i didnt really take a liking to it :/ personally i think he made it up. :P

~Erika

Tue, February 3, 2004 - 1:11 AM
        I've had a pink sushi roll before, called a Pink Cadillac at a place called Piranha in Santa Barbara (by the far one of the best sushi places EVER). It's basically a snake roll (fresh water eel) but with the eel on the inside of the roll with avacado...YUMMMMY!!!!
  • MO
    MO
    offline 6

Tue, February 3, 2004 - 12:57 PM
    At Sushisaurus in Long Beach, CA there is a roll called the Dr. Seuss. It's an inside out roll - the rice on the inside and tuna and salmon wrapped all the way around the outside. Then it is topped with a gigantic mound (about 1 to 2 inches high) of flying fish roe that has been marinated in wasabi, therefore making the roe bright green. Tasty! Not really weird in the exotic, unheard of way, since all the ingredients are pretty standard, but definitely a weird visual!

Fri, February 6, 2004 - 7:55 PM
    i think i answered this before. didn't have it, only saw it: philadelphia roll somewhere in berkeley 10 years ago. cream cheese and salmon. yuck. no cheese in sushi please!
    • Unsu...

Fri, February 6, 2004 - 8:06 PM
      ganja roll -- deep fried (i.e. tempura) spicy tuna roll, with both tempura sauce and wasabi/soy... I've never seen it anywhere else, is this standard? And why the f*ck to they call it a 'ganja' roll; it doesn't make feel anything like I feel when I'm high on weed ;) peace.
      • Unsu...

Fri, February 6, 2004 - 11:01 PM
        Sounds good = tempura'ed spicy tuna roll. Mmmmmmmmmm

Sat, February 7, 2004 - 12:22 AM
          sounds like a dynamite roll at some places
          • Unsu...

Tue, February 10, 2004 - 5:07 AM
            They serve something else they call a 'dynamite roll'... so that's not it. And I forgot to add that they roll a mint leaf in it (the ganja roll), too. It is soooo good. I get it every time (Kaigan, San Carlos, Laurel Ave).

Tue, February 17, 2004 - 11:00 AM
      Mmmmm..

Philadelphia Rolls are good!

I bought some at a gormet grocery store in NJ. They are quite good even though cream cheese doesn't seem like it should go in sushi but it worked really well with the salmon.

I had a maki that had cream cheese, cucumber and carrots in it. It was a house speciality I think but it was really good.

Sun, February 8, 2004 - 11:04 AM
    Strangest Sushi I have ever had.....
    Hmmmmmm...thinking here...
    I would have to say Ama Ebi (Hope I spelled that right)
    That is where you have the Sweet Shrimp on Sushi Rice (which is really tasty, but do not eat the tail part) and it also comes with the Shrimp or Prawn Heads deepfried in tempura batter (feelers and eyes included).
    I had some trepidation the first time I tried it, but after having it...I became hooked on it! Yummmm!!!! You have to eat the head carefully becase the feelers even though they are deep fried are kinda pointy and hard.
    Ama Ebi and some excellent Saki or a Sapphoro Beer...bring it on! :)

Mon, February 9, 2004 - 8:36 PM
      I tried a fermented soybean roll. Sounds like tofu or something, but it was a slimy mess that looked like snot and smelled like feet. The only sushi roll I couldn't finish. But one of my new favs is a Japanes plum and shiso leaf roll. Good eats

Tue, February 10, 2004 - 6:09 PM
        natto maki
        got love food that looks, smells, and feels rotten!

Tue, February 10, 2004 - 8:54 PM
          Jellyfish. I have had it on nigiri, and as a side dish. It's a tiny bit crunchy and a little slippery, but it's not like what one would expect jellyfish to be like. It picks up the flavor of whatever they spice it up with nicely. I eat it when I can.

Cheers,

stan
          • Unsu...

Mon, February 16, 2004 - 5:01 PM
            Deep fried oyster/cream cheese/unagi. I thought it was pretty tasty actually ....

Mon, May 10, 2004 - 12:34 PM
          natto maki, so far that's been the only stuff I couldn't handle. My friend and I ordered it and each took 1 piece. We downed it and immediately tried to drown the taste with sake, plum sake, plum wine, water and anything else at hand.

uni is ok as long as it's very fresh. but only in small quantities for me.

i ate at a sushi bar in Roseville this weekend that has a huge roll menu but almost everything is deepfried at least the central portion if not the whole roll. Odd. But rolls are large and locals seem very happy. I tried the garlic scallops. That was weird. Good scallops fried up and then covered in a mayo garlic sauce. I love scallops and garlic and the first one was good, but couldn't finish them, flavor was just waaay too strong.

My fav. is a creamy scallop hand roll with tobiko and a quail egg on top. Some think that's strange.
  • not strange, exactly, but off the beaten path

Wed, February 18, 2004 - 4:16 PM
    let's see... there's a great sushi place in toronto, called ginger. they serve maki that features a stalk of asparagus in the center, wrapped in salmon, seaweed, and panko and is then deep-fried... not real traditional, but tasty.

in the heart of the bronx (!) is a place that serves maki made from maguro, tobiko, and avocado wrapped in paper thin slices of cucumber. no rice, no seaweed. so good.
    • Re: not strange, exactly, but off the beaten path

Wed, February 18, 2004 - 4:45 PM
      Urchin is just gross...
      /runs to toilet
      • Re: not strange, exactly, but off the beaten path

Tue, February 24, 2004 - 2:03 PM
        In New Jersey....ok, ok, ok, just hear me out!
        In NJ there's a sushi pizza. The base/crust is made of rice pressed and then topped with the spicy sauce, scallions, raw tuna, and some other stuff. It's really really good actually. But really i haven't had this in a while, and i haven't had any sushi on this coast that even compares to that in the West.

The dynamite roll i had in Berkley last summer and the one before too. It's got salmon and tobiko and scallions and some kind of sauce in it then they wrap it in aluminum foil and bake it...soooooo good.

:)
      • Yeah, I had sea urchin once. They way I describe it to people who don't know is this: Imagine a beach with lots of sea foam on it, you know the thick, olive green foam that smells rotten and sits there on the beach like bits of something dead. Now imagine scooping up 1 cubic yard of that foam and condensing it down to 1 cubic inch. Now you have something the same color that is denser but still squishy. If you can imagine how that would taste and feel in your mouth, then you know what it's like to eat sea urchin.
        • OK, now I like uni (sea urchin) I mean, REALLY like it, but I acknowledge that it's an aquired taste. But really if it's an olive green color, somthing is wrong and it shouldn't be eaten. Really.

Normally it should be a nice orange color....a little bit lighter than 'tribe.net' orange.

Some of my friends have made the assesment (and I agree) that it kinda looks like cat vomit.

Doesn't taste like it though!!

daMongolian
          • Ray
            Ray
            offline 7
            When was the last time you tasted cat vomit?

I haven't really had many "strange" bits of sushi. Of course, this being Baltimore, people come up with rolls containing crab stick, Old Bay, and other ingredients. I once had what was basically a Philadelphia roll with strips of jabanero in it, but I'd call that "lethal", not "strange". Especially for one poor guy, who I egged on to try it, forgetting that he had just gotten his tongue pierced. Whoops.
  • Unsu...

Wed, February 25, 2004 - 7:49 AM
    In terms of weird contents, I'd say that uni or natto are pretty strange, and the glutinous yamaimo-oroshi is pretty weird, too.

However the What The Hell Was That About? award goes to the ongoing rivalry I had with one chef at Mobo Sushi in Santa Cruz about 10 years ago. He claimed he could make a sushi that I couldn't eat in one bite. He named it "Sushi Big" -- it was the biggest damned futomaki I've seen before or since. However, he underestimated my gaping maw, which can comfortably seat a family of four. I got it all in there, no spill, no choke, no muss, no fuss, so that roll was saabisu.

Wed, March 3, 2004 - 1:08 AM
      I've never understood why yama imo is grated, when it's so much fun to squish them out of their skins whole. The sliminess is fun. They are affordable at local stores like Farmer Joe's as baby taro or mini taro and can just be boiled. I like dipping them in salt.

Wed, March 3, 2004 - 2:15 PM
    what is whole baby octopus called in Japanese? I ordered this once, feeling daring, and it was a little bed of rice wrapped in seaweed with a tiny, whole octopus, head and all nestled on top. I ate it, but I just couldn't bring myself to eat the head. It didn't really even taste like much, just kind of salty and chewy and squishy, not really worth the ick factor. I'm still willing to try strange things, maybe just not this one again.

Wed, March 3, 2004 - 2:41 PM
      the little marinated octopii are called lidako

They kick ass. Mashiko usually just serves them on a bed of chuka (seaweed) salad, but last time I got omikase there, one of the dishes they came up with were the lidako, but they were tempura fried. They were on a bed of chuka salad, but they had hidden nice chunks of the regular octopus, tako, in the salad.

speaking of weird, about 6 months ago, they had this strange sort of octopus that was tender enough to eat raw. it comes from the sea of Japan, and hajime said there was no english name for it. it was a greyish octopus about a meter long and really skinny and elongated, mostly tentacles. he was working his way up from the tips of the tentacles, with about 4-5 inches per serving. we were the second order, so it was all tentacle.

it was quite a bit different than Tako, which is steamed and has the outer membrane removed. definitely more of a briny flavor and mucousy texture. it wasn't as weird in texture or flavor as live uni, but definitely outside the normal sushi experience.

Thu, May 6, 2004 - 4:47 PM
    ELT roll- eel lettuce and tomato
    mackarel and grapefruit roll
    giants roll-salmon eel and sesame paste

all pretty wierd

Thu, May 6, 2004 - 11:12 PM
      i had a person roll once. it was huge, about 6 feet long. there was a living, breathing person rolled up in kind of like a hand roll, with some avocado and beaugenvillias.

i tried to dip it into my wasabi soy, but they complained bitterly. i ended up not eating it at all, so it got up and walked out.

fortunately, they didnt charge me for it.
  • Unsu...

Fri, May 7, 2004 - 8:22 AM
    The strangest I ever saw, (didn't eat), was about 15 year ago at a party in St. Louis MO. It was a roll containing scrambled eggs.

Given how far they are from being able to frugally enjoy fresh seafood I understand the abomination.

Also, Uni (sea urchin) is great when fresh, there apparently a short window for that, so many experience the , "dirty socks, cat poop" favor instead.

I've also eaten braised or seared crickets and young crabs with the shells still on. ( I don't know the actual name of the dish.)
    It's one of my favorites, but hard to get used to the antenna and the legs. : )

Mon, June 6, 2005 - 11:45 PM
    the strangest sushi I've ever been served was a single piece of duck breast nigiri (the meat was cooked) although I was served it without being told what it was at first, and told to try it and guess what it was. I had no idea it was a non-fish sushi, even after the first bite!
    • Unsu...

Tue, June 7, 2005 - 2:12 AM
      quote< i had a person roll once. it was huge, about 6 feet long. there was a living, breathing person rolled up in kind of like a hand roll, with some avocado and beaugenvillias.

i tried to dip it into my wasabi soy, but they complained bitterly. i ended up not eating it at all, so it got up and walked out.

fortunately, they didnt charge me for it.
      ---------------
      Did you get to pick the person yourself?

That makes all the difference.>

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Tue, June 7, 2005 - 7:59 PM
        Going back:
        "ganja roll -- deep fried (i.e. tempura) spicy tuna roll, with both tempura sauce and wasabi/soy"
        I've seen this around, but with different names. It sure is yummy.

Weirdest not so good roll was the "munchies roll" - basically whatever snack food the chef had on hand, wrapped in rice and nori, then tempura'd and fried. Needless to say,t his was never served to customers - only stoned employees. Although fritos were kind of tasty in them.

Weirdest good roll I had was a buffalo roll: thin slices of buffalo meat wrapped around rice, with shiso inside.

Tue, June 7, 2005 - 9:17 PM
          The weirdest sushi in japan is Kazunoko

crunchy herring roe... it's like fishy polystyrene
          only a lot more expensive....

Uni is dai-oishi but it has to be 100% fresh, ie caught today.
  • Unsu...

Wed, June 8, 2005 - 4:40 PM
    most recently:

chicken tenderloin sashimi
    whale nigiri
    raw horse sashimi
    • Unsu...

Wed, June 8, 2005 - 4:53 PM
      Where did you get those? Wouldn't the chicken (if raw) be likely to carry salmonella? What about the raw horse, what was it like?
      • Unsu...

Wed, June 8, 2005 - 5:00 PM
        Chicken tenderloin is very sanitary but it's all relative depending on what type of quality of chicken you're dealing with and suffice it to say this was extremely high quality chicken.

The horse sashimi was amazing. If you've ever had Kobe beef, it had a very similar marbling effect and was extremely succulent and rich.

The whale nigiri was deep red (like cheap tuna, but this was natural) and served with a ginger soy sauce. Very delicate and buttery, much more tender than I thought it would be.

I had all of these in various restaurants across Japan last month.

Wed, June 8, 2005 - 11:48 PM
          fascinating
          • Unsu...

Fri, June 10, 2005 - 9:48 PM
            Very fascinating.

But, you realize that whale nigiri tastes an awful lot like baby seal sashimi, or baby golden eagle, don't you? Sort of like condor meat marinated in ponzu.... Or maybe a little more like lightly seared Kangaroo Rat, Garibaldi roll, sauteed sea otter, etc.

After I ate the last of the komodo dragons, I decided to see if I could get some woolly mammoth sashimi from Siberia, but I am still awaiting the shipment!

I include a whole panoply of sushi/sashimi choices you probably won't find most places:

Albatross, short-tailed ( Phoebastria albatrus)
            T Beetle, delta green ground ( Elaphrus viridis)
            E Beetle, Mount Hermon June ( Polyphylla barbata)
            T Beetle, valley elderberry longhorn ( Desmocerus californicus dimorphus)
            T Butterfly, bay checkerspot ( Euphydryas editha bayensis)
            E Butterfly, Behren's silverspot ( Speyeria zerene behrensii)
            E Butterfly, callippe silverspot ( Speyeria callippe callippe)
            E Butterfly, El Segundo blue ( Euphilotes battoides allyni)
            E Butterfly, Lange's metalmark ( Apodemia mormo langei)
            E Butterfly, lotis blue ( Lycaeides argyrognomon lotis)
            E Butterfly, mission blue ( Icaricia icarioides missionensis)
            E Butterfly, Myrtle's silverspot ( Speyeria zerene myrtleae)
            T Butterfly, Oregon silverspot ( Speyeria zerene hippolyta)
            E Butterfly, Palos Verdes blue ( Glaucopsyche lygdamus palosverdesensis)
            E Butterfly, Quino checkerspot ( Euphydryas editha quino)
            E Butterfly, San Bruno elfin ( Callophrys mossii bayensis)
            E Butterfly, Smith's blue ( Euphilotes enoptes smithi)
            E Chub, bonytail ( Gila elegans)
            E Chub, Mohave tui ( Gila bicolor mohavensis)
            E Chub, Owens tui ( Gila bicolor snyderi)
            E Condor, California (U.S.A. only) ( Gymnogyps californianus)
            E Crayfish, Shasta ( Pacifastacus fortis)
            T Eagle, bald (lower 48 States) ( Haliaeetus leucocephalus)
            E Fairy shrimp, Conservancy ( Branchinecta conservatio)
            E Fairy shrimp, longhorn ( Branchinecta longiantenna)
            E Fairy shrimp, Riverside ( Streptocephalus woottoni)
            E Fairy shrimp, San Diego ( Branchinecta sandiegonensis)
            T Fairy shrimp, vernal pool ( Branchinecta lynchi)
            E Fly, Delhi Sands flower-loving ( Rhaphiomidas terminatus abdominalis)
            E Flycatcher, southwestern willow ( Empidonax traillii extimus)
            E Fox, San Joaquin kit ( Vulpes macrotis mutica)
            T Frog, California red-legged (subspecies range clarified) ( Rana aurora draytonii)
            T Gnatcatcher, coastal California ( Polioptila californica californica)
            E Goby, tidewater Entire ( Eucyclogobius newberryi)
            T Goose, Aleutian Canada ( Branta canadensis leucopareia)
            E Grasshopper, Zayante band-winged ( Trimerotropis infantilis)
            E Kangaroo rat, Fresno ( Dipodomys nitratoides exilis)
            E Kangaroo rat, giant ( Dipodomys ingens)
            E Kangaroo rat, Morro Bay ( Dipodomys heermanni morroensis)
            E Kangaroo rat, San Bernardino Merriam's ( Dipodomys merriami parvus)
            E Kangaroo rat, Stephens' ( Dipodomys stephensi)
            E Kangaroo rat, Tipton ( Dipodomys nitratoides nitratoides)
            E Lizard, blunt-nosed leopard ( Gambelia silus)
            T Lizard, Coachella Valley fringe-toed ( Uma inornata)
            T Lizard, Island night ( Xantusia riversiana)
            T Moth, Kern primrose sphinx ( Euproserpinus euterpe)
            E Mountain beaver, Point Arena ( Aplodontia rufa nigra)
            E Mouse, Pacific pocket ( Perognathus longimembris pacificus)
            E Mouse, salt marsh harvest ( Reithrodontomys raviventris)
            T Murrelet, marbled (CA, OR, WA) ( Brachyramphus marmoratus marmoratus)
            XN Otter, southern sea [XN] ( Enhydra lutris nereis)
            T Otter, southern sea (except where XN) ( Enhydra lutris nereis)
            T Owl, northern spotted ( Strix occidentalis caurina)
            E Pelican, brown (except U.S. Atlantic coast, FL, AL) ( Pelecanus occidentalis)
            E Pikeminnow, Colorado (except Salt and Verde R. drainages, AZ) ( Ptychocheilus lucius)
            T Plover, western snowy (Pacific coastal pop.) ( Charadrius alexandrinus nivosus)
            E Pupfish, desert ( Cyprinodon macularius)
            E Pupfish, Owens ( Cyprinodon radiosus)
            E Rabbit, riparian brush ( Sylvilagus bachmani riparius)
            E Rail, California clapper ( Rallus longirostris obsoletus)
            E Rail, light-footed clapper (U.S.A. only) ( Rallus longirostris levipes)
            E Rail, Yuma clapper (U.S.A. only) ( Rallus longirostris yumanensis)
            E Salamander, California tiger U.S.A. (CA - Santa Barbara County) ( Ambystoma californiense)
            E Salamander, desert slender ( Batrachoseps aridus)
            E Salamander, Santa Cruz long-toed ( Ambystoma macrodactylum croceum)
            E Salmon, chinook (winter Sacramento R.) ( Oncorhynchus tshawytscha)
            T Salmon, chinook (CA Central Valley spring-run) ( Oncorhynchus tshawytscha)
            T Salmon, chinook (CA coastal) ( Oncorhynchus tshawytscha)
            T Salmon, coho (OR, CA pop.) ( Oncorhynchus kisutch)
            T Salmon, coho (central CA coast) ( Oncorhynchus kisutch)
            T Sea turtle, green (except where endangered) ( Chelonia mydas)
            E Sea turtle, leatherback ( Dermochelys coriacea)
            T Sea turtle, loggerhead ( Caretta caretta)
            T Sea-lion, Steller (eastern pop.) ( Eumetopias jubatus)
            T Seal, Guadalupe fur ( Arctocephalus townsendi)
            E Sheep, bighorn (Peninsular CA pop.) ( Ovis canadensis)
            E Sheep, bighorn (Sierra Nevada pop.) ( Ovis canadensis californiana)
            E Shrike, San Clemente loggerhead ( Lanius ludovicianus mearnsi)
            E Shrimp, California freshwater ( Syncaris pacifica)
            E Skipper, Laguna Mountains ( Pyrgus ruralis lagunae)
            T Smelt, delta ( Hypomesus transpacificus)
            E Snail, Morro shoulderband ( Helminthoglypta walkeriana)
            T Snake, giant garter ( Thamnophis gigas)
            E Snake, San Francisco garter ( Thamnophis sirtalis tetrataenia)
            T Sparrow, San Clemente sage ( Amphispiza belli clementeae)
            T Splittail, Sacramento ( Pogonichthys macrolepidotus)
            E Steelhead (southern CA coast) ( Oncorhynchus mykiss)
            T Steelhead (central CA coast) ( Oncorhynchus mykiss)
            T Steelhead (Central Valley CA) ( Oncorhynchus mykiss)
            T Steelhead (south central CA coast) ( Oncorhynchus mykiss)
            E Stickleback, unarmored threespine ( Gasterosteus aculeatus williamsoni)
            E Sucker, Lost River ( Deltistes luxatus)
            E Sucker, Modoc ( Catostomus microps)
            E Sucker, razorback ( Xyrauchen texanus)
            T Sucker, Santa Ana (3 CA river basins) ( Catostomus santaanae)
            E Sucker, shortnose ( Chasmistes brevirostris)
            E Tadpole shrimp, vernal pool ( Lepidurus packardi)
            E Tern, California least ( Sterna antillarum browni)
            E Toad, arroyo ( Bufo microscaphus californicus)
            T(S/A) Tortoise, desert (outside/taken from Sonoran Desert) ( Gopherus agassizii)
            T Tortoise, desert (U.S.A., except in Sonoran Desert) ( Gopherus agassizii)
            T Towhee, Inyo California ( Pipilo crissalis eremophilus)
            T Trout, Lahontan cutthroat ( Oncorhynchus clarki henshawi)
            T Trout, Little Kern golden ( Oncorhynchus aguabonita whitei)
            T Trout, Paiute cutthroat ( Oncorhynchus clarki seleniris)
            E Vireo, least Bell's ( Vireo bellii pusillus)
            E Vole, Amargosa ( Microtus californicus scirpensis)
            E Whale, blue ( Balaenoptera musculus)
            E Whale, humpback ( Megaptera novaeangliae)
            T Whipsnake, Alameda ( Masticophis lateralis euryxanthus)
            E Woodrat, riparian ( Neotoma fuscipes riparia)
    • Unsu...

Mon, June 13, 2005 - 9:27 AM
      Miko in Vancouver BC has basashi (horse neck) sashimi.
      • Unsu...

Tue, June 14, 2005 - 5:33 PM
        Before Katsu in Studio City burnt down, I sat at the sushi bar (next to Lucy Lawless and her husband), and had a sushi I'd never had before which was "baby-fish" sushi. Lucy's husband
        (from New Zealand) explained to me that they called it "whitebait" back there, and use extremely fine-meshed nets to catch it.

It was a pretty unique treat, with about fifty tiny little fish curled up on top of a bed of rice.

I have also heard of a type of sushi called "squilla" like shrimp, I believe, but I have never seen it offered anywhere. I am curious about it.

Tue, June 14, 2005 - 6:05 PM
          Nicholas:

Did you know that Katsu reopened his sushi-ya in Studio City using, for good luck, his wife’s name?

Tama Sushi
          11920 Ventura Boulevard
          Studio City, CA 91604
          Phone: 818-760-4585

Wed, June 15, 2005 - 8:23 AM
            I would have to say my friend's Korean wife who made flank steak tartare sushi for us and great hand rolls with raw oysters...
            In a restaurant, I would have to say the dynamite roll at Surin in Birmingham (Alabama, not UK) which frightens children with the great prawn head sticking out of the top!

Recent topics in "For the Love of Sushi"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
White Tuna? Mama B 19 March 6, 2012
Escolar! 57 March 6, 2012
where to buy raw fish in LA Unsubscribed 15 March 6, 2012
Buying Sushi Grade Fish Alan 25 March 6, 2012